When it comes to buying and selling homes, first impressions are everything.
Imagine you’re shopping for your next home. You find the perfect listing – it has everything you’ve been looking for: modern appliances, floor to ceiling windows, a fireplace in the master bedroom, and a spacious deck with a spectacular mountain or lake view. You set up an appointment to tour the property. Upon walking into the home, your attention is immediately taken away from the amenities you desired and pulled toward the current homeowner’s photographs on the mantle, lace curtains on the windows, and black bear décor sprinkled throughout. As you try to imagine yourself living there, your daydreams are blocked by a style that doesn’t suit you. All of a sudden your modern mountain villa has turned into an old mountain cabin. You move on to another listing, leaving the seller wondering what the heck happened.
It happens all the time. Enter home staging.
What is Home Staging?
My friends at Tahoe Modern say it best; home staging is a profit strategy for homeowners, realtors, and investors to help potential buyers easily envision living in the spaces you are selling.
Home staging is an art in that it allows for a diverse set of shoppers to enter a home and immediately get the feeling they can live there. Good home stagers create a space that is modern yet cozy. Furniture and home accents are strategically placed to open the space and allow the home to present itself in its best light.
The Benefits of Staging a Home
There’s no question that home staging is beneficial for sellers. Tahoe Modern collected important statistics from ‘18/’19 HSR, NAR, RESA reports which found that buyers who stage their homes sell their property for more money than those who don’t. They also found that homes that are staged sell faster, stand out more, and offer a high return on investment.
Home Staging by the Numbers
- 68% of 4,200 staged homes sold for at least 9% more than their un-staged neighbors.
- 95% of home searches occur online – first impressions are EVERYTHING.
- A staged home spends 72% less time on the market.
- North Lake Tahoe sellers can expect to make an additional $9,000 – $24,000 after staging costs.
Home Staging Ideas
To get a snapshot of what staging entails, here are some tips for home staging:
- Make your home spotless. Nothing will turn a potential buyer away faster than dust, dirt, unsavory smells, and general grime. Wash the windows, walls, and baseboards. Deep clean the kitchen and cupboards. Ensure your bathroom sparkles. And don’t forget the outside! Trim bushes back, plant some flowers, and tidy up the yard.
- Be a minimalist. While your kid’s painting on the wall brings you joy, it means nothing to a potential buyer. Create space, literally and figuratively, for buyers so they can better envision their own art on the wall, or their furniture gracing the living space. This means removing clutter and personal photographs. In other words, depersonalize your space.
- Clean out your closet. One of the top elements buyers are looking for when touring a home is storage space. Pull as much as you can out of closets and cabinets, including linens, shoes, and towels. The more space a buyer can see, the more appealing the home.
- Add strategic details. After cleaning and removing personal items, your home may vibrate with a certain sterility. Select accent items that bring back a clean yet cozy feel. Think plants, fresh produce, and modern design elements.
- Paint. Nothing spruces up a space like a fresh coat of paint. This is not the time to be bold! Pick neutral, soft colors that allow buyers to concentrate on the space and not the color of the walls.
While these DIY staging tips will get you started, when you want the most out of your investment, hire a professional.
How Much Does Home Staging Cost?
The cost for home staging varies depending on the needs of the seller and the size of the home. If you already have modern furniture, a home stager may choose to simply augment the look of your high traffic areas with their inventory of items. If your décor or furniture is dated, they may bring in new furniture to give your home a more appealing look.
From consultation to monthly staging, costs can run anywhere in the range of $3.50 -$5.00 per square foot, depending on the finishing level of the home.
Home Staging in Tahoe
I am so excited to have a local home stager in my back pocket. Tahoe Modern has partnered with Luxe Mountain Collections group at the Northstar office to offer home staging to our clients. They even designed our gorgeous and welcoming new space across from Petra in the Northstar Village. Come by and check it out some time!
Tahoe Modern combines sophisticated home furnishings, thoughtful art, and bold accents with flawless execution and impeccable customer service to help your property stand out. What I love about their style is that they embrace the mountain-modern feel while also appealing to the laid-back Tahoe vibe.
Get Fronted for Home Staging Costs
One of the many benefits of working with me is that I have access to the Compass Concierge program which loans the cost of staging to my sellers. The best part? You won’t ever be required to pay interest.
The reason Compass offers this priceless service is because they know that you’ll get that money back and more. Your home will be more desirable, will sell faster, and ultimately bring in more offers than your neighbor who chose not to stage their home.
Because the ROI on home staging is so high, we highly recommend hiring a professional stager. And it couldn’t be easier when you work with me. You won’t have to worry about the up-front costs of staging or have to research staging companies. If Tahoe Modern isn’t available, I have a list of preferred Lake Tahoe home staging companies that I have been working with for years.
It doesn’t get easier! Let me take the reins and get you the most out of your property. With North Tahoe and Truckee homes flying off the market, often for above asking price, it’s a sellers’ dream.
Don’t wait! Get in touch now and we can talk about the best way to move forward and get you the most return on your investment. Contact me today.